Our inspirational, insightful & highly accomplished WomensDay2018 presenters...
Liberty Sanger: Panellist
Director/Principal, Maurice Blackburn Lawyers, PLUS, Chair - Equal Workplaces Advisory Council
A Principal, Board member & Practice Group Leader at Maurice Blackburn Lawyers, co-leading the Victorian WorkCover & Road Accident injuries (TAC) departments - Liberty is a qualified Law Institute of Victoria Personal Injury Accredited Specialist & she is recognised by the prestigious Doyles Guide as one of only five leading lawyers in workers' compensation in Victoria.
Liberty says she became a lawyer to help people.
“I love getting excellent results for my clients. The process of obtaining compensation can be very stressful & confusing. Having to navigate your way through the WorkCover system at the same time as dealing with the consequences of your injury & the permanent changes to your life & life plans can be completely overwhelming... I am driven to make sure that I take that stress away from my clients & get them the best result possible... Knowing the approach to my work & the outcomes I achieve can have such an impact on their lives is incredibly satisfying.”
Liberty is Chair of Maurice Blackburn’s Diversity & Inclusion Steering Committee, charged with recommending strategies & initiatives to the Board to ensure that every employee feels comfortable to "bring their whole unique self to work & thrive in an accepting & supportive environment".
She has also been appointed Chair of the Victorian Government’s Equal Workplaces Advisory Council as part of their Gender Equality Strategy. The Council has been asked to identify government action that will promote the achievement of gender equality:
- to identify promote & publish good practice examples of initiatives that work to promote gender equality
- to consider the issues & linkages relating to pay equity, equality & productivity to achieve equitable outcomes for women & men.
Raised in Wodonga, Liberty stayed true to her roots while progressing social agendas on national platforms through various political & community organisations. A self-confessed “committed unionist & opinionated chatterbox”, Liberty regularly voices her views on The Friday Wrap with Jon Faine on 774 Melbourne radio; by reviewing newspapers on ABC News Breakfast with Virginia Trioli & Michael Rowland; & as a regular panelist on Politics HQ on Sky TV. She has also been a guest on the ABC TV’s Q&A
MEMBERSHIPS & ACCREDITATIONS
- Law Institute of Victoria Member
- Law Institute of Victoria Personal Injury Accredited Specialist
- Australian Lawyers Alliance Member
- Chair, Maurice Blackburn Diversity & Inclusion Steering Committee (2017-present)
- Melbourne Olympic Parks Trust Member (2017-present)
- Chair, Equal Workplaces Advisory Council (2017-present)
- McKell Institute Advisory Board member (2016-present)
- YWCA Life Member
- Emergency Services State Super Fund Board Director (2010-2013)
- Federation Square Pty/Ltd Board Director (2009-2012)
- Victoria Law Foundation Board Director (2004-2009)
- Chair, Liquor Control Advisory Council (2006-2009)
- Chair, Media Code of Conduct Working Group on Body Image (2007-2008)
- Doyles Guide - Work Injury Compensation Lawyer, VIC (Leading Lawyer, 2016, 2017)